Thursday, August 19, 2010

Days 6-9: Alcan 5000 Days 1-4

Wow, it's been a while, sorry about that. Every time we arrived somewhere, I was always too tired to post anything. So, this is going to be a compilation of the past several days, to get it out of the way.
It's probably not going to be that entertaining. Hopefully that's understandable. :)

.....


Day 6: Alcan 5000 Day 1
Kirkland, WA to Quesnel, BC, Canada

I don't remember much about this day. Dangit. Although I do remember it was really REALLY long.

Woke up early, as usual. Had breakfast at the cafe restaurant thing with Mom and Daddio. Ate a lot because I needed to be full for the long ride so we wouldn't have to stop for a while.
After breakfast, I suited up and said goodbye to Mom. Off we went on our adventure.


Nothing really happened most of the day. It was a long ride, pretty warm.
We made it to the Canadian border, crossed, and went on our way.

Several miles into British Columbia, we ran into smoke. Apparently BC is on fire, and the part that isn't on fire, is covered with smoke. It was terrible.


Stopped for lunch at a Dairy Queen, it was alright. Really tasty when you're hungry, but then, so is most everything edible.
There was a TSD somewhere in there.
By the time we got to the second TSD, Daddio and I were pretty beat. We had gone about 200 somethingish miles and were getting really tired, not a lot of thinking going on during the transit sections, but the TSD picked us up. We were good to go after that.
We rolled into Quesnel around 8PM.  Ate at the Denny's attached to the hotel. I finally met the person I'm currently rooming with. She is very nice. =]
Took a shower soon after that and waited for the laptop to post a blog. Ended up falling asleep about 10PM. No blog.


Day 7: Alcan 5000 Day 2

Quesnel, BC to Dawson Creek, BC

Woke up at 6AM. Hey, this is great prep for school! :D
Had breakfast down at the same Denny's. Had to hurry a little this morning. Not a huge deal, but Daddio really wanted to get going. I don't blame him. There was a TSD early in the beginning of the ride.
I don't remember much about the ride, I was really tired and probably nodded off several times. Otherwise I didn't pay much attention.
I do remember that we finally got out of the smoke. I love a clear/semi cloudy sky. Ahhhh~ Fresh air is a wonderful thing.


The hotel was nice, my roomie and I got a pretty large room (I compared it to Daddio's), lots of space to walk around in. That was nice.
Daddio and I went and had dinner with most of the rally guys. They're a really fun group of people,  enjoy their company.
So we ordered a barbecue chicken pizza, and got a pepperoni and mushroom one for $5 (Canadian dollars) to have for breakfast the next day. That was a fantastic idea.



Day 8: Alcan 5000 Day 3

Dawson Creek, BC to Watson Lake,YT
Man, this was a LONG day. 600+ miles


Woke up at the usual time. Went upstairs and had cold pizza with Daddio. Deeelicious.
There were two TSD's at the start of the ride, otherwise we'd probably too tired to do them. We finally figured out how to program the ICO Enduro computer Daddio bought for this. It worked great. We didn't pick up many points that day. (The lower your score, the better. You pick up points based on how early or late you are to the checkpoints. You can Google it. =])


We rode back into the smoke. I wasn't too happy about that, but the good news it, it didn't last very long.
After getting through the smoke, it looked like rain. Daddio decided it would be a good idea to go forward a bit to see if it really was raining. Started sprinkling, so we stopped to put on our rain suits. Lo and behold, a few minutes later, the rain stopped. So we were cruising with our rain gear on, because it's a pain to put on and take off, and pulled into a gas station to fuel up. Some of the other Alcan guys were there too. We took off our rain suits. A few minutes after fueling up, it began raining again, only this time, it lasted. So, we stopped to put our rain gear back on, even though we were wet. It's better to be wet, and not get any wetter, than to be soaked to the bone, like the other Alcan guys from the gas station. We had a pretty good laugh about that when we stopped at a gas station in the mountains to fuel up again.


After the second pit stop in the mountains, we saw a bunch of bison, some mountain goats, and a bear. That was so cool. c:
We finally made it to Watson Lake around 9. I was pretty beat.
We stayed at an interesting hotel. You had to remove your shoes at the door, because most people come in with muddy boots. There are communal showers and restrooms. They're all individual, just in the same room.
I was waay too tired to post a blog, plus it was pretty late when we rolled in, so we didn't have dinner either.



Day 9: Alcan 5000 Day 4

Watson Lake, YT to Whitehorse, YT


Today was a fairly short day. There was one TSD at the very beginning, we didn't do so hot there. Ah well, it's still just for fun!
I got to try taking some pictures with Daddio's camera, but I don't know how well they turned out.
There isn't really much to say about this. We got rained on again but we were much more prepared this time. Hooray, I was still kinda semi-warm when I got here.
This is a pretty standard hotel, although the internet is pretty fast.
Daddio and I went to eat at a place called Boston Pizza. It was delicious. :)


Well, that's about all for now. If I can't update everyday, then I'll make another entry like this when I have time. Now, I really need to go to bed.


Thanks for reading!
Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment