Saturday, August 21, 2010

Days 10 and 11: Alcan 5000 Days 5 and 6

Well hi there. I would have posted a blog yesterday, but the internet at the hotel I was at was on the fritz. :c
I think I might be getting sick. Anyway, onto the blog!
.....
Day 10: Alcan 5000 Day 5
Whitehorse, YT to Dawson City, YT

Got up at 6AM, put on all my gear and went outside. It was raining, so Daddio and I put on our rain suits. He was complaining that his was difficult to put on, and that it was really tight. Mine, on the other hand, was dragging on the ground. I noticed that his suit had a silver buckle on it instead of dark grey. Turns out we had the wrong suits on. That was pretty hilarious. We went on the only TSD for that day, it was really fun. Mostly narrow dirt roads that were pretty muddy because it had been raining a while. However, we programed the computer incorrectly and picked up a bunch of points, oh well. Stillforfunstillforfunstillforfun.
This was a pretty easy day, around 300 or so miles.

There wasn't all that much to see, where I could see. (Daddio blocks the left side of the road.) We stopped for fuel a few places t make sure we made it to Dawson City. Oh, I forgot to mention that in Canada, you pay in cents per liter. It took me forever to figure that out. Gas is expensive here.

I took a nap on the way there, and Daddio put a towel around my neck so my head wouldn't bob around and hurt my neck. Isn't he great? c:

Once we made it to Dawson City, Daddio and I stopped at a little restaurant by the river (I believe it's the Yukon) and I had the best fish and chips I've ever had. Alaskan salmon and chips. Yeah baby.

After that, we checked into the hotel. I got a room to myself because my roomie pulled the pregnant lady rule and stayed in Whitehorse an extra day, since we were coming back.
We placed our stuff in the rooms and got settled, and then Daddio and I went and got ice cream. Butterscotch ripple for the win. We meandered around a little bit. Dawson City is an old west type town. The streets are all dirt and the buildings are all old.

Later, we got back to our rooms and I took a shower and headed to bed. There was a bar across the street that was really noisy, but I guess I was tired enough to fall asleep at 10. I woke up at 2ish and looked over at the window. There was the same amount of light at when I went to sleep. That weirded me out a little but I went back to sleep.

Day 11: Alcan 5000 Day 6
Dawson City, YT to Whitehorse, YT

This is basically the same trip as before, but I got to see the other side of the road. That was fantastic. Daddio got some pictures that I'll post once I get home. Pictures take a long time on this thing.

Daddio and I went to have breakfast at the hotel restaurant. He got some sort of omlette, and I got french toast. I've had nothing but bacon and eggs the past few days, so I started to get sick of it. Variety is the spice of life, is it not? I'm glad I had that.

A little while later, there was a TSD. I programed the computer, but we must be doing something wrong, it was way off again. I'm not sure how any points we've picked up yet, but it's still not a big deal. Good news though! We're not last. =]
There was a pause in the middle of the TSD to admire the view from where we were, it was amazing. We were above the fog, which was patchy, and the sun was just rising over the hill. Daddio got a picture, of course.

We had left our stuff in my hotel room so we wouldn't have to worry about any of it while we did the TSD. That was a good idea. We cruised back there, gathered our gear and headed back to Whitehorse.
We would have gone straight to Fairbanks from there the day after, but the Top of The World Highway is closed. :c

I didn't fall asleep this time! Instead I enjoyed the scenery I didn't get to see on the way there. Fantastic.
There's a few pictures, not to worry. =]

Other than that, today was pretty uneventful, but tomorrow, we're going to Fairbanks. That's around 600 miles. We also have to leave really early, about 6, which means I need to be up at 4:30 or something. I'm gonna crash out early tonight. Oh, and just so you know, there probably won't be a blog tomorrow, 600 miles is a long day, for anyone. I'll probably arrive, jump in the shower and fall asleep in it, maybe.

Also, sunburn on top of unburn. Owie. =[

That's all for now, thanks for reading!

Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment