Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 12: Alcan 5000 Day 7

This was actually typed up on Day 12, but I didn't post it until today because I had no internet.
Here you go!
.....

Whitehorse, YT to Fairbanks, AK

Or, as an alternate title, "I Don't Feel Very Smart"
Man, I'm tired, understandable, I hope, since I woke up at 5AM and travelled 600 miles to get here. Sleeepy
No! I have to type this! I must press onward!

So, as you know already, I woke up at 5AM. I quickly shut off my alarm so as not to wake my roomie (ended up waking her anyway, oopsies, sorry!), then jumped out of bed to get ready for the day. Daddio had bought brownies the night before to have for breakfast, since we didn't have much time.
I was ready a little earier than planned and walked over to Daddio's room. Poor thing, he didn't get much sleep because his roommate snored really loud. :c
He made some coffee, had a brownie, as did I, and off we went.

It was really cold this morning, so I had the heated jacket and gloves, because Daddio is awesome. He had a vest and fleece pullover. I have no idea how he stays so warm.

Once we got clear of Whitehorse, the road was really uneven and bumpy. It was actually kinda fun. Sort of like a roller coaster. :]
I saw another bear. Bigger than the last one, but that might have just been because it was right next to the road, instead of off to the side.
Anyway, I started to get extremely cold. More so than before. I figured I was getting sick and kept going.
About a hour later, I told Daddio I couldn't feel my feet and that I wanted to ride in the car. He said that was just fine, and when we pulled into a gas station a little ways before the border, I hopped out of my riding suit and into the car. I had to take off my shoes and socks and then sit cross legged so my feet would warm up. I was not feeling well.
We passed through the border, and went on our way to Tok, which is where the TSD was. Somewhere along the ride, I took a nap that was cut short by a sudden burst of hard rain. Uh oh.
Good news is, it was short lived, hooray!

We arrived in Tok, and went in the only restaurant there to have lunch. When I got inside and sat down, I was still shivering, like I had been drenched in water. I also noticed that my hads and feet had started to go numb. Turns out, I was having a hypoglycemic fit. Not a huge deal, just meant that I really needed to eat. That was reasonable, since I didn't have dinner, and only had a small brownie for breakfast.

We got our food fairly quickly. Good thing too, as a tour bus had just pulled up and let out a bunch of people. Daddio and I had patty melts. Yum yum.
Once lunch was over, it was time for the TSD. I programed the computer correctly this time. Hooray!
The TSD was on a dirt road that has pot holes and muddy puddles. It was great because once I told Daddio that we were going too slow, e plowed through a big puddle and splashed me with muddy water. It was awesome! He kept apologizing, but I was so happy my suit had finally gotten legitimately dirty that is wasn't a big deal. =]

After the TSD, we set out to Fairbanks. Not much happened at this time, except we almost ran out of gas. Luckily, one of the other Alcan people had some in a spare can that they gave to us. Yay!

We fuelled up a while after that, and rolled into the hotel parking lot. Now we're checked in and here I am, typing this blog.

That's all for today, I'm off to bed.

Thanks for reading!

Kit

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're feeling better! Did you guys go have pizza at that great place down the street?

    ReplyDelete